Prevent climate change with small steps on your part.
How to prevent climate change with little steps.
It’s the little things that make the difference, believe it or not. If everyone would follow one or two steps listed in this infographic,
it would have a great effect on our carbon footprint. Start small and help prevent climate change.
- Water conservation has become a necessary step in most countries, yet many people assume there is an unlimited supply of water. Yes, planet earth holds 98% of water, however, only 1.5% is fresh water.
- Watch your water usage by turning off faucets when not in use.
- Take shorter showers, and avoid unnecessary water consumption.
- Fix leaky faucets and toilets.
- Turn off the water while washing or brushing your teeth.
- The food you eat can have a large water footprint.
- Meat and dairy have the highest water footprint, hence, vegetables the least. It takes about 1800 gallons of water to raise just one pound of beef.
- Help reduce greenhouse emissions by:
- practice regular recycling and buying recycled goods.
- Shop in bulk to decrease the packaging waste.
- Make a conscious effort to cut your waste.
Save on Energy
- Turn off appliances, TV’s, computers and game consoles when not in use.
- Switch to energy-saving bulbs such as LED. Turn off lights in unoccupied rooms.
- Invest in energy-saving appliances and electronic devices. Buy only appliances with the Energy Star label.
Keep your air ducts clean and sealed.
- Lower the temperature of your water heater will save you money and avoid getting scalded.
- Shut off your computer to save over 20 cents a day and over $ 70 per year.
- Use your microwave instead of your oven.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat, it could save you as much as $ 150.00 per year according to Department of Energy.
Traveling green is a very broad term. There is much more to it, hence, here are a few suggestions to travel green.
- Obviously using an electric car is the best choice to travel.
- One-third of all fossil fuel emissions is caused by vehicles, therefore, leaving your car at home and walk or ride a bike.
- Use the train instead of a plane. Easier said than done we know, however, a nonstop flight is better than a car trip.
- Buses are the best sustainable choice compared to cars or plains, even though bus rides are long and boring.
- The way you drive your car makes a difference. Speeding and aggressive driving add up to 30% to your gas bill.
- Choose a green hotel
Reduce your carbon footprint
By reducing your carbon footprint you are taking responsibility and being an example to others when it comes to climate change
- Install solar panels on your roof.
- Invest in an electric car.
- Utilize solar-powered devices.
- Reduce your meat and dairy consumption. The cattle industry produces more greenhouse gases than all cars combined.
- Consider becoming a vegetarian or better a vegan. It’s easier than you think.
Use this carbon footprint calculator to identify your own emissions:
Join or create a community on CoolMomentum. Be a visionary!
We would love to hear your opinion. What are you doing to prevent climate change?
Feel free to leave a comment or Submit your own sustainable design solution today.